Everybody deserves a second chance, even if the first date sucked. Here’s why:
1) Nerves.If your hands are sweating and your stomach is twisted in knots you are more hesitant to laugh or think of the right thing to say. Even if you were definitely not nervous, it’s highly likely your date might have been.
2) You’re still asking first date questions. First date questions are fun and important, but you don’t usually hear earth shattering stuff, or the good stuff. Sometimes your first date conversation is boring. That doesn’t mean the person is boring, you just need to get to know them a little better.
3)You have no background as a couple. Practice makes perfect! You have to know how much the other person likes to talk, how much physical contact they like to have, and if they like onions in their tacos. As far as I’m concerned, if you don’t even know if they like onions or not, you definitely have to go out on a second date.
4) One of you could be having a bad day. If you have a terrible day at work, or your dog pukes in your favorite shoes and then you miss your bus, you might not be on your game that night. You might come off as pretty miserable, in fact. Do you want to be remembered that way, at your worst?
5) Physically, you can’t be that sure about someone. You could have been seeing your date in a bad light. What if he was just wearing a funny hat or bad shoes that one night? Don’t be superficial (as we’re all guilty of being sometimes.) Give him another shot before you dismiss him based on his physical appearance.
6) You only have seen them in one element. If your date was in the park, you have only met Park Guy. If your date was at a bar, you have only met Bar Guy. You need to meet First Date Guy in at least two settings to get a good feel for him. Some people shine more in different settings.
7) C’mon, you need some feedback. Go home,tell your friends about your date, and hear what they have to say. Then reconvene. You need support. Your friends are probably professional daters, too, or at least professional opinion givers, and who would ever argue that getting a second opinion is a bad thing?
8) I don’t care what anyone tells you, it is not a waste of time. You can always find time to get a drink or get dinner with someone. That dinner you spent in your underwear watching “Top Chef?” Well, that was fun, but instead, you could have been getting to know First Date Guy better, and it might just have been really worth it.
9) You might need a second date to get a bit more intimate. Some people don’t kiss on a first date, or feel comfortable enough to hold hands or touch your leg. And sometimes it is in those moments of touching that you find out if you’re attracted to someone. You need to let your body go on a second date just as much as your brain.
10) You could always make a friend. Okay, so date number two comes and goes and you are sure you don’t want to get in bed with this person ever or be their plus one for anything. But you could make a friend or a connection. You’ll never know who this person could be in your life if you don’t give him a chance.